Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Music for the masses

Love music? Love access to endless free amounts of it without commercials?

You have got to check out Pandora, if you aren't already addicted. Ok, so I don't drink coffee anymore, so I've transitioned to healthier addictions.

Pandora is a free personalized web radio station. You can create as many "stations" as you want, with genres or artists/bands. I love Brett Dennen (see that YouTube video below), so I created a Brett Dennen station. Then "they" identify other music with similar qualities and play it on the station (called the musical genome project), plus his music. So I just got introduced to a couple of fabulous musicians I've never heard of! I am loving this new station.

I have an incredibly catholic taste in music, so I've tried to see if I could "stump" Pandora by coming up with a genre or group, and so far, they've got it all - Kurtis Blow, Soledad Bravo, Illapu, AR Rahman. So this service isn't dominated by the mass market music companies. Yeah!

http://www.pandora.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment