Thursday, April 30, 2009

Garden workout and poppies

I spent a couple of hours in the garden today - weeding, watering, and mowing the lawn with the push mower. We've let the grass get really long, and our tiny lawn is on an incline....so I got quite a workout....sweating and really pushing hard to get the job done.

I also filled the bird feeders, cleaned up the bird bath, and cut some drooping tulips for a vase.

There are seeds coming up all over the place. I had spread some poppie seeds (lovely purple ones), and I see little poppy plants showing up all over the place. Wonderful....they are beautiful flowers. Stately, purple....
Here is a shot of them from last year's garden. Our lawn looks even better now, and I'm thinking it is because I fertilized it twice and put down some compost on it too. It is like a spongy green shag carpet. No dandelions either. I'm realizing that if you weed early and often it isn't as much work.


2 comments:

  1. You are truly Hija de tu padre!!! and of your Abuela Rita and Abuela Dominga, both of which are your namesakes. In my family I don't think any of us like gardening very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how it took over 40 years for those genes to kick in, but boy did they ever. What did Dad think of the pictures?

    ReplyDelete